Atypical depression defines as the changing in mood and behavior according to surrounding circumstances. Although any type of anxiety and depression make you sad and change your behavior temporary but in this type of depression your mood is become good when some good or positive thing happened around you. If left untreated atypical depression leads to an emotional and physical problems in your life.
Signs and symptoms of atypical depression includes:
- Feeling heaviness in your legs and arms
- Over sleep
- Increase sensitivity towards every small thing
- Increase hunger
- Feeling good after listening some positive thing
- Fear of rejection
- Abnormal behavior
The exact cause of atypical depression still not known but there is assumption that many factors like environmental and genetic play a huge role in the development of atypical depression and its associated disorder. Genetic factors include:
- Neurotransmitter changes: brain contain some chemical substances which are called neurotransmitter, the role of neurotransmitter is to convey the messages with in the brain. Any abnormality in the chemical composition leads to a depressive disorder.
- Anxiety and depressive disorder usually run the family as a hereditary disorder.
If left untreated then it may cause the following complications:
- Weight gain
- Suicidal thoughts
- Relationship problem
- Drug abuse
- Chronic anxiety disorder
After taking family history your doctor may recommend the following test to confirm the diagnosis of atypical disorder:
- Blood test to check the complete blood count or any other causes of depression.
- Physical examination to determine the overall physical health.
- Psychological examination to check the any psychotic disorder.
Treatment options include:
Medications. drug treatment of depression includes monoamine oxidase inhibitors like phenelzine and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors give the better result. They also fight with your panic and anxiety attack. But with MAOIs diet monitoring is required to prevent the side effects of drugs.
It is the gold standard treatment option to treat the depressive disorder. It includes the counseling with your therapist. It will help you to restore relationships and solve your problems. You will start to focus on your goals and ignore the unnecessary events happened around you.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Eat a healthy food
- Take care of yourself
- Take medicine on time
- Exercise regularly
- Focus on positivity
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid smoking
- Spend time with your family