This is the condition occur due to lack of blood supply to the bone tissue as a result of which bone tissues die. Also known as osteonecrosis. First it leads to small breaks in bone which then eventually lead to bone collapse.
Usually people are asymptomatic in initial stages.
- Patient only experience pain when weight is applied to affected bone
- Pain then progress to be felt even when lying
- Pain onset is gradual from mild to severe in intensity
- Pain is usually bilateral
This condition occur due to reduce blood supply to bone which may be due to:
- Traumatic injury to bone or joints
- Arteriosclerosis or fat deposition in arteries supplying bone
- Some medical conditions like sickle cell anemia and gaucher’s disease.
Diagnosis is done by:
- Complete physical examination
- Detailed history
- Some imaging test including CT scan, X-ray, bone scans.
Following are some major treatment options :
- Oral medications like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, osteoporosis drugs such as alendronate (Fosamax, Binosto), Cholesterol-lowering drugs, blood thinners like aspirin, warfarin.
- Physical therapy, rest, electrical stimulation is also done.
- Surgery and other procedures include core decompression, bone transplant (graft), bone reshaping (osteotomy), joint replacement, regenerative medicine treatment is considered in advance stages.