Fractured ankle or broken ankle Is a trauma induce ankle injury. A person may have broken ankle due to some car crash or missed set or from direct fall at the ankle.
Broken ankle presents with following symptoms
- Swollen ankle
- Pain on touching
- Person would be unable to walk
- Deformation of foot
- Sudden throbbing ache
Most frequent causes of fractures of ankle are;
- Crushing injuries from car accidents
- Tripping while walking or direct fall
- Twisting injuries from misstep
- Long standing fracture can turn into arthritis
- Osteomyelitis in which infection in the bone occurs.
- Pain, swelling and paralyzed muscles of ankle can lead to compartment syndrome.
- Injury could damage the nerves and blood vessels.
Fractured ankle is diagnosed by physical examination and history of trauma. Other imaging test are done to detect the severity and type of fracture;
- CT scan
- Bone scan
- Medications like over-the-counter pain killers are prescribed to relieve pain.
- Physiotherapy is required.
- Reduction, immobilization and surgery are three main procedures to get your broken ankle treated.