It is defined as the injury to the bone of foot due to any injury or by misstep or fall. Injury may range from mild fracture to complete broken of bone.
Signs and symptoms of broken foot include:
- Difficulty in walking
- Throbbing pain
- Overuse like long distance running.
- Falling something heavy on your foot
- Vehicles accidents
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Nerve damage
- Blood vessel damage which lead to ischemic necrosis
- Deformity of foot
After taking history your doctor might conduct a physical examination to check the tenderness and swelling the affected area and recommend the following test to confirm the diagnosis:
- Bone scan to see the damage and fracture part of bone.
- X-ray to visualized the fracture.
- Magnetic resonance imaging for detailed imaging of the bone.
Treatment option include:
- Therapy to restore the movement and reduce deformity.
- Medications to decrease pain and swelling like acetaminophen and ibuprofen.
- Surgery involve to repair the broken bone.