It is the hereditary disorder which infect the nerves of legs and arms. It is also called hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy. In this disease mostly peripheral nerves are affected.
Below mention are the signs and symptoms of Charcot-Marie-tooth disease:
- High foot arches
- Curled toes
- Weakness in legs
- Difficulty to lift foot
- Decrease sensation
- Foot drop
It is occurred due to the inherited mutation in the genes which form the myeline sheath around the nerves. Mutation cause error in the formation of myelin sheath. Sometimes mutation also affect the nerves.
Diagnosis can be made by:
- Physical examination to check any physical abnormality.
- Check the reflexes and muscles strength
- Nerve conduction test
- Check the gait of patient
- Check sensation over the feet and hands
- EEG to check electrical activity of brain
- Genetic testing
Treatment options include:
- To reduce the muscle stiffness and pain.
- Physical therapy to strength the muscle and tightening the muscles.
- Orthopedic devices to prevent injury.
- Surgery to correct the foot surgery and improves weakness