It is the inflammation of the small blood vessels of the skin, inflammation occur due to the exposure to cold it causes painful sensation on skins.it is also known as pernio.
Below mention are the signs and symptoms of chilblains:
- Small, itchy red areas on skin
- Swelling on affected area
- Burning sensation
The exact cause of chilblains is unknown yet. This condition is occurred due to the repeated cold exposure. Condition may be worsening by rewarming the skin after exposure to cold.
Only complication of chilblains is infection which is occur due the blisters formation over the affected area.
It may resolve on its own and does not required any diagnostic procedure but if your signs and symptoms persist then your doctor might recommend the circulation test of blood.
Preventive method of this condition tries to keep your hands warm and dry. Using gloves and socks if your living in cold areas. Treatment option includes:
- Topical creams to treat the lesion like steroids creams
- Nifedipine to improve the blood circulation.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Apply soothing lotion for itching
- Avoid cold exposure
- Use gloves and socks
- Massage the affected skin
- Stop smoking
- Clean the skin with antiseptic solution