It is defined as the bacterial infection of vagina which is caused by bacteria chlamydia trachomatis. It is transmitted through sexual intercourse. It does not produce any serious symptoms and complications mostly.
Signs and symptom include:
- Pain during urination
- Painful sexual intercourse
- Vaginal discharge
- Bleeding which is not associated with periods
- Pain In testis in men
The cause of this infection is bacteria chlamydia trachomatis which is spread thought vaginal and oral sex pregnant women may transmitted this infection to their new born baby during delivery in which it causes pneumonia and eye infection.
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Infection in newborn during delivery of baby
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Epididymitis in men
- Prostate gland infection
- Ectopic pregnancy
Diagnosis can be made by:
- Pelvic examination to see any physical abnormality around the vagina and vulva.
- Medical history about drugs and lifestyle
- Vaginal fluid test to check presence of any causative organism.
- Urine test to exclude the other causes
It can be treated with 1-week course of antibiotics. During treatment you should avoid sexual intercourse due to the risk of spread of infection.