Common Cold, Rhinitis
Common cold, Rhinitis
Common cold is a viral infection characterized by infection of upper respiratory tract. It’s commonly not harmful but quite disturbing. Common cold occur due to various agents. Most infection occur are self-limiting and treat on there own.
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Ache in whole body
- Nasal congestion
Rhinovirus is the most common agent that causes common cold. However, there are different virus that can lead to common cold. It can be transmitted by touch and different routes like eyes, nose and mouth.
- Otitis media which is the acute ear infection
- Acute sinusitis
- Other secondary infections like croup, pneumonia, strept throat.
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of patient. Sometimes chest X-ray is done.
Proper treatment of cold is not yet found as there isn’t any one agent that causes this. Majorly antibiotics are prescribed. Medications are usually prescribed according to symptoms like:
- Nasal decongestant
- Cough syrup
- Pain relievers
- Keep yourself hydrated and consuming a lot of fluids
- Chicken soup consumption
- Try to be at rest most of the time
- Salt water gargling by soothing throat.
- Saline nasal drops for nasal congestion