Cystitis is a medical condition in which there is inflammation of the bladder mostly due to the bacterial infection and that’s why also known as urinary tract infection.
- Persistent an excessive urgency
- Burning sensation during micturition
- Low grade fever
- Increased frequency of urination passing small amount of urine
- Urine becomes cloudy or strong-smelling.
- Discomfort in pelvic area
- Blood tinged urine
- Pressure in lower abdomen
Inflammation of the bladder occur because of many condition including infectious and noninfectious.
- Bacterial cystitis occur due to invasion of bacteria mostly E-coli in the urinary tract.
- Non-infectious cystitis include many types like interstitial cystitis, radiation cystitis, drug-induced cystitis, foreign body cystitis, chemical cystitis, cystitis associated with conditions like enlarged prostate, diabetes, kidney stones etc.
Untreated cystitis can lead to many complications like
- Kidney infections
- Microscopic hematuria
- Gross hematuria
After detailed medical history and complete general physical examination following test are considered:
- Urine analysis
- Imaging test like X-rays and MRI
Treatment options include:
- Antibiotics medications are prescribed specifically if cystitis is because of bacterial infection
- Procedures like bladder distention and nerve stimulation are considered in interstitial type of cystitis
- Pain and pressure on the bladder can be eased by using heat pad
- Staying hydrated with lots of fluids
- Soaking in a warm water tub for 15 to 20 minutes can help easing the pain.