It is defined as the cancer of melanocyte which produce melanin which give pigmentation to the skin. Eyes also contain melanin. Melanoma of eye also known as ocular melanoma.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Peripheral vision loss
- Dark spot on the iris
- Change in the shape of the dark circle
- Blur vision in one eye
The exact causes of the melanoma are still not known. Mutation in DNA causes the error in the DNA which causes melanoma.
If left untreated it may lead to the following complications:
- Melanoma may spread to the other organs of the body
- Vision loss
- Glaucoma may cause blurry vision
Diagnostic test for melanoma includes:
- Eye ultrasound to see the images of eye.
- Angiogram to see the condition of retinal vessels.
- Eye examination
- Optical coherence tomography
- Biopsy from eye tissue
Treatment for melanoma include:
- Radiotherapy to kill the cancers cell.
- Laser treatment which is also called thermotherapy, used to kill the cancers cells by infrared laser.
- Photodynamic therapy.
- Cold treatment called cryotherapy to destroy melanoma cells.
- Surgery to remove the large tumor which causing pain in