Signs and symptoms of mental illness include:
- Trouble in understanding
- Sex drive changes
- Feeling sad
- Excessive fear
- Confused personality
- Mood swings
- Suicidal thinking
- Withdrawal from social activities
Mental illness is a multifactorial disorder which is occurred due to the genetic, biological and environmental factors, some illness inherited genetically from parents, some occurred due to the environmental exposure of alcohol and drugs.
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Self- harm
- Relationship difficulties
- Legal issues
- Family conflict
- Social isolation
- Suicidal behavior
Following tests will help in diagnosis:
- General physical examination to rule out any other cause
- Lab tests to check thyroid function and any other abnormality in other hormones
- Psychological counselling to rule out the mental illness
Treatment depend upon the type and severity of mental illness. Treatment options include:
- Medications like antidepressants, mood stabilizing medications and anti-psychotic drugs will help to reduce the anxiety and depression.
- Psychotherapy provide great help in reducing the signs and symptoms.
- Electro convulsion therapy sometimes used in the depressive disorders.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Following home remedies will help to fight with your mental illness:
- Avoid alcohol use
- Avoid drugs misuse
- Stick to your treatment
- Exercise daily
- Eat healthy food
- Avoid negative thoughts, and stay positive