Microscopic colitis is a condition that is characterized by constant watery diarrhea due to inflammation of large intestine. The colon appears normal on endoscopy and requires microscopic examination for diagnoses. There are three types of microscopic colitis namely collagenous colitis, lymphocytic colitis, incomplete microscopic colitis.
Symptoms of this condition include:
- Long lasting watery diarrhea
- Loss of weight
- Fecal incontinence
- Abdominal cramps or bloating
Major causes include:
- Medications which irritates the lining of colon.
- Bacterial infection
- Viral infection
- Autoimmune diseases
- Bile acid abnormalities
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of patient. Other tests and investigations include:
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Stool sample analysis
- Blood test
Treatment options include :
- Maintain a healthy organic diet and discontinue triggering medication.
- Some medication are prescribed like anti-diarrheal medications, steroids, drugs blocking bile acids, anti-inflammatory medications,TNF inhibitors.
- Sometimes surgery is also needed.
- Increase consumption of fluids
- Eat soft consistency food
- Increase frequent eating rather than eating one large meal once