It is defined as the wide range of nervous system conditions which cause the abnormal movement which can be voluntary or involuntary. Movement can be abnormally fast or slow.
Signs and symptoms of movement disorder include:
- Loss of balance
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle spasm
- Change in gait
They can be cause by certain conditions like any trauma in childhood, physical injury, genetic mutation during development or many infections lead to the movement disorders.
After taking medical history your doctor conducts a physical examination to check the muscular activity or motor reflexes, he/she might recommend the following tests:
- Blood test to check any infection
- MRI to check the detailed images of involved nerve
The treatment option includes:
- Physical therapy to reduce the risk of disability
- Medications to treat the sign and symptoms
- Botulinum toxin injection to decrease the muscle spasm