It is defined as the weakness and fatigue of voluntary muscles of your body. Myasthenia gravis occur due to the communication breakage between the muscles and nerves.
Signs and symptoms of myasthenia gravis include:
- Ptosis (drooping of eyelids)
- Diplopia (double vision)
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Difficulty in changing facial expression
- Impair speaking
Myasthenia gravis occur due to the autoimmune disorder in which immune system start making antibodies which destroy or block your muscles receptor to which acetylcholine binds and work.
After taking history and conduct a physical examination your doctor might recommend the following test to confirm the diagnosis:
- Neurological examination to check the reflexes, muscle tone, muscle strength, balance and coordination.
- Ice pack test to check the ptosis
- Edrophonium test to check the temporary improvement in muscle strength
- Blood test to check the antibody against the acetylcholine receptor
- Nerve stimulation test
- Imaging test to see any underlying cause
Treatment depend upon the age and severity of disease, treatment options include:
- Corticosteroids to inhibit the immune system
- Cholinesterase inhibitors to increase communication between nerves and muscle
- Immunosuppressant to reduce the immune response
- Plasmapheresis to remove antibodies from the blood
- Intravenous IVIg to kill the antibodies against receptors
Lifestyle and home remedies
Following lifestyles will help to reduce the signs and symptoms:
- To maintain energy level use electric tools like electric toothbrush, electric can opener and other tools to perform daily tasks.
- Use safety precautions at home
- Eat healthy food to maintain muscle strength
- Use patch to prevent eye problems