It is the cancer of nasopharynx which is located behind the nose and just above the nose. It is commonly occurred in Asia and rare in United states. It is difficult to treat this carcinoma because symptoms mimic the other condition also.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Nasal congestion
- Hearing loss
- Bleeding from nose
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Sore throat
- Bleeding from mouth
The exact cause of thyroid cancer is not known yet. Mutation causes the error in the DNA due to which cells grow in abnormal fashion and disturb the function of the whole organ. Epstein Barr virus is sometime involved in the mutation which causes nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
If left untreated it may lead to the following complications:
- Spread of cancerous cells to the other places of the body.
- Invasion of cancer into the nearby tissues or organ.
Diagnostic tests include:
- Physical test to check any physical abnormality and tenderness and swelling around the neck.
- Blood test to check the complete blood count
- Imaging test like x-ray and CT scan for the detail image of the nasopharynx
- Biopsy to check the type and stage of cancer.
Treatment option for nasopharyngeal carcinoma include:
- Radiotherapy to kill the cancerous cells by radiations.
- Chemotherapy to kill the offending cells by drugs.
- Surgery to remove the cancerous cells along with affected lymph nodes.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Treat your xerostomia if you have dry mouth issue.
- Maintain oral hygiene by brushing your teeth daily.
- Rinse mouth after every meal.
- Take moist food more.
- Avoid spicy food