It is the tumor of parotid glands which is located in front of the ears on each side of face. Parotid glands are salivary glands, produce saliva which help in chewing and digesting of food.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Prickling sensation in the face
- Loss of facial movement
- Swelling in the face or jaw
The exact cause of the parotid tumor is not clear yet but it may be assumed that mutation in the DNA of parotid gland cells can cause the cancerous growth of cells.
Diagnostic tests include:
- Biopsy to parotid gland tissue to check the grade of tumor
- Imaging test to check the extend of tumor growth
- Physical examination of face
Treatment options includes:
- Surgical removal of involved part of gland
- Removing whole parotid gland
- Extensive surgical process to remove the surrounding tissues which is metastasis by cancers cells.
- Radiotherapy to kill the tumor cells by radiation