This is a condition which occur due to immune reaction occurring against penicillin drug abnormally. Penicillin is an antibiotic to treat bacterial infections. This type of allergic reaction can occur with other drugs having similar chemical properties.
Common clinical features include:
- High grade fever
- Runny nose and eyes
- Itchy mouth and nose.
- Skin rashes
- Difficulty in breathing
Penicillin when taken may trigger hypersensitivity reaction in some people bodies. Before appearance of sign and symptoms person must be exposed to the drug atleast one time previously. Next time after taking drug antibodies neutralizes this drug taking it as antigen and thus leading to the development of sign and symptoms.
A good detailed inspection and examination is crucial for diagnosis. Following tests are done for diagnosis:
- Skin test is done. If it comes positive it means person is allergic to penicillin.
- Graded drug challenge is sometimes considered to diagnose if someone is susceptible to penicillin allergy or not.
Main goals of treatment are to treat the ongoing symptoms and desensitization of person with penicillin allergy.
- With drawling the drug at once if its causing symptoms.
- Taking medications like antihistamines, corticosteroids and epinephrine injections.
- Desensitization therapy involves the administration of drug in small doses and intervals.