It is defined as the inflammatory lesion in the lining of the stomach and some portion small intestine. Peptic ulcer has two types gastric ulcers and duodenal ulcers.
Signs and symptoms of peptic ulcers include:
- Intolerance of fatty foods
- Stomach pain
It is cause due to the excess acid production in the stomach which causes the destruction in the lining of stomach. Most common causes of peptic ulcer are Heliobacter pylori bacteria, regular use of aspirin or NSAIDs or other medicines like steroids etc.
If left untreated, it may lead to the following complications:
- Gastric cancers
- Perforation in the stomach wall
- Obstruction in digestive tract
- Internal bleeding
After taking history and conducting a physical examination of abdomen your doctor might recommend the following tests:
- Tests to detect the presences of Pylori
- Endoscopy to examine the internal condition of digestive tract
- Blood test to check the complete blood count
The first aim of treatment is to prevent the complications and reduce the signs and symptoms, medications include:
- Antibiotics to kill the bacterium H. pylori like amoxillin, clarithromycin and tetracyclines.
- Medications to block the acid productions like omeprazole, lansoprazole etc.
- Reduce acid secretion with the help of the certain medicine includes histamine H-2 blockers.
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Avoid stress
- Limit alcohol
- Stop smoking
- Stop taking any unnecessary pain killers