The skin disease which causes hardening and tightening of connective tissue and skin. Scleroderma is a rare type of skin disease which affects women more than men. It occurs women of 30 and 50 years old. This disease can be treated by certain types of medication.
Signs and symptoms of scleroderma include:
It is cause by increase production of collagen in body tissues which start to accumulated due to which hardening of skin and connective tissue occurs. The exact cause of overproduction of collagen is still unknown.
Scleroderma mimic the other skin disease so it is difficult to diagnose this disease. After taking history and doing physical examination of skin your doctor will diagnose scleroderma in clinic. To rule out the other diseases doctor will recommend the blood test and skin biopsy.
This disease resolves on its own but sometime required treatment which include:
- Vasodilators to prevent the Raynaud’s disease
- Steroid cream for skin to slow the production of skin cells
- Medicine to reduce the heartburn and improve the digestion
- Antibiotic to prevent the secondary bacterial infection
- Immunosuppressive drugs to reduce the inflammation
- Physical and occupation therapy to increase the mobility and strength the muscles
Lifestyle and home remedies
Following home remedies will help you:
- Avoid smoking
- Stay active
- Exercise daily
- Use sunscreen during day time
- Stay hydrated
- Protect from intense cold
- Avoid spicy food