The defect and any abnormality in the scrotal bag behind the penis. Scrotal bag consists of testis and its associated structures, testis produce sperms and male sex hormone. Abnormality in scrotal bag is due to accumulation of extra fluid or due to any cell growth, there are many reasons for scrotal masses.
Signs and symptoms of scrotal masses includes:
- Redness of the skin
- Sudden pain
- Dull aching pain
- Feeling of heaviness
- Tenderness in testicle
- Hardening in testis
- Pus in urine
- Urine urgency
There are many causes which produce scrotal masses, some are mention below:
- Inflammation of the epididymis called epididymitis.
- Testicular carcinoma
- Testicular torsion
- Inguinal hernia
After taking history your doctor will recommend the following tests:
- Urinary analysis to check pus and blood in urine
- Ultrasound to check the structure of testis
- Transillumination to check the size and location of mass
- Physical examination to rule out the other causes
- CT (Computerized Tomography) scan
- Blood test to check any infectious causes of scrotal masses
Treatment for scrotal masses depend upon the underlying cause, treatment options include:
- Antibiotic for bacterial infection resolve the mass
- Benign mass which does not produce any symptoms does not required treatment.
- For testicular cancer there are many treatment options like radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and surgical removal of the testicles.
Lifestyles and home remedies
Do testicular examination regularly at home, following tips will help you:
- Do examination after bath with warm water
- Examine Infront of mirror
- Use both hands to examine one testis at a time
- Feel any mass or tenderness